From time to time I let in to my urge to brew at times when I would be better off waiting. As a result I have brewed when I'm not feeling well, have other things I should be doing, or when I don't have enough time. A few weeks ago I had just that sort of night when I thought it would be easy to pull off a double (10 gallon) batch of "no-boil" Berliner Weisse after arriving home from work around 5... after having to fight through an epic fail of a stuck sparge I didn't get to bed until after 1 am. Luckily, despite the issues, the rest of the brew went as planned (hit my gravity/volume/temps).
I heated the wort to about 210 undiluted at 1.045 and watered the rest down to 1.032. The low and high gravity portions each got a pint of a Lactobacillus starter (made of apple juice) along with half a pack of US-05. I'll add some bottle dregs to both for some added complexity when I move them to secondary.
Berliner and his Big Brother
Recipe Specifics (All-Grain)
Batch Size (Gal): 8.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.045
Anticipated SRM: 3.2
Anticipated IBU: 9.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67 %
Wort Boil Time: 0 Minutes
56.7% - 8.50 lbs. German Pilsener
33.3% - 5.00 lbs. Wheat Malt
10.0% - 1.50 lbs. French Pilsener
1.50 oz. US Fuggle (Pellet, 3.67% AA) Mash Hop
1.00 Tsp Yeast Nutrient 0 min.
Safale US-05 Chico
White Labs WLP677 Lactobacillus
Profile: Washington DC
Protein Rest 30min @ 125 (Infuse)
Sacch Rest 75 min @146 (Decocted)
5/02/10 Pitched a tube of White Labs lacto into 1 qrt of apple juice (Safeway - Vitamin C fortified). Both were at warm room temp (~83). Added a 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient after a day. Took 3 days to show signs of activity, then took off. Added another pint of apple juice at the start of the brewday.
5/05/10 Brewed by myself.
Pulled a thick 6 qrt decoction, actually hit my temp when it was added back.
Really slow sparge, added several handfuls of rice hulls and re-suspended the mash.
Skimmed as I heated to a boil. Cut heat at 210. Chilled. Ended up with about 8.5 gallons of 1.045 wort. 5 gallons into 1 carboy, 3.5 into the other. The 5 gallon will be left as is, while the 3.5 gallon was diluted to 5 gallons (~1.033 OG) with filtered water. Chilled to 74, placed in 62 degree fridge. Pitched half a pack of US-05, shook, and 1 pint of lacto starter to each.
Good fermentation after 12 hours.
After 24 hours raised ambient temp to 68
After 24 more hours went up to 73.
5/13/10 Moved out of the fridge, ambient basement temp ~70.
5/23/10 Racked to secondary.
Berliner Weisse down to 1.003, not much sourness. Will add some dregs soon, although not much left for them to eat.
Berliner Lambic down even lower, 1.002, added 1 oz of oak that had soaked in Sour Squash for additional bugs. A bit more sourness, but still mild.
6/5/10 Added the dregs from a bottle of Captain Lawrence Barrel Select #1 to the lower OG half.
10/15/10 Added a small handful of oak from my Turbid Lambic to up the bug content on the Berliner Lambic.
11/11/10 Bottled the Berliner Weisse half with 5.75 oz of cane sugar. Aiming for ~3.6 volumes of CO2.
3/13/11 Interview and tasting of this Berliner Weisse with BBR.
3/16/11 Tasting of the Berliner Weisse half. Really happy with this one, nice assertive acidity, good carbonation, lots of complexity.
10/15/11 Blended some, and bottled the remaining 2 gallons with 1 3/4 oz cane sugar.
4/24/12 Tasting of the Berliner Lambic, it is fine, but not great. I like the standard half much more.
5/7/12 The standard version scored a 38 at NHC, but failed to place despite scoring higher than my Cabernet Lambic which won the category. Snippets of the judges' notes.