Over the weekend I bottled the "Clear" Sugar Experiment that I posted about last week. Sunday I wanted to brew a Belgian Strong Dark based on De Struise Pannepot, and I needed the yeast harvested from the experiment to pitch into it. The experimental beers had hit a gravity around 1.006 (~90% AA) and they looked clear, so I didn't think it was necessary for them to sit longer than two weeks in primary.
The experimental sugars were used for the priming dosage for their respective batches. I haven't done this two previous sugar experiments, but when we are talking such minute differences, the extra work seemed worth it. I weighed out the sugars based on how much would be needed to give the equivalent carbonation of 1 oz (28 g) of sucrose. This worked out to: 28 g of table sugar, 28 g of clear candi rocks, 39 g clear candi syrup, and 33 g of corn sugar. Finally for the batch that received no sugar I went with 46 g of DME, just to keep it completely sugar free. I am a bit concerned that priming in this way could induce some variability if I didn't work things out exactly right, but it seemed worth doing since the amount of sugar added for carbonation is equivalent to 28% of the sugar added to the wort initially.
After the sugars were weighed out, I dissolved them in enough water to make ~10 tbls of liquid. Each glass got two minutes in the microwave to dissolve the sugars and make sure everything was sanitary (as usual the candi rocks were the biggest pain to get dissolved).
Each sweet syrup had enough sugar to carbonate 120 oz of beer to 3 volumes of CO2 (assuming I did my math correctly). Since each contained 10 tbls of liquid this means that 1 tbls would be enough to carbonate 12 oz of beer (convenient how that worked out). So I used a tablespoon and funnel to dose all of the bottles with the sugar solution (2 tbls in each bomber).
Next I siphoned directly from the five jugs into the bottles (a Mini Auto-siphon is a must if you want to do something like this since it fits into the mouth of 1 gallon jugs), and capped them. The yield was a perfectly even two bombers and five 12 oz bottles per jug (just over 4 gallons total). The small amount of leftover beer tasted pretty good (fruity, clean pils malt, hint of hops etc...), if still a bit yeasty.
I'm looking forward to a full blind taste test on these in a couple weeks.